Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Caloric Intake Guide

Let me start by saying that I am an average, ever so busy, working mom.  I'm not training for anything, I'm not a fitness competitor, nor am I a model preparing for a photo shoot!  I do my best to live a healthy lifestyle day to day.  Some days I'm better than others...and on those days I have a well thought out grocery list, I batch cook (without rushing), I get a good workout in, and I track my food on myfitnesspal (my username is lindsaylea78).  On other days I go to the grocery store without a list, I scramble to batch cook for the week on Monday nights in between cooking dinner for the family and tending to the kids, I miss my workout, and I can't find the time to track my food.  What can I say?  I'm normal! BUT, when I do have a bad week, and I start over with a clean slate come Monday morning, I like to know what I need to do to get my body where I want it to be.  I never knew there was such a science to calories!  I owe everything I've learned here to James Wilson.  Here is the caloric intake guide that I follow:

When I don't feel like counting calories, I use the palm-and-fist rule:
- Carbohydrates will be the size of your fist when prepared
- Proteins will be the size of the palm of your hand when prepared
- Fats will be one handful

Formula to calculate caloric intake:  Body Weight multiplied by 10  and add 300.  This is based on your current weight.  For example, my current weight is 110, so 110 x 10 + 300 = 1,400.  My caloric intake should be 1,400 on rest days (if I wanted to maintain my weight).  To increase muscle (which is my goal) you need to increase your calories by 250-500 on your rest day.  To decrease body fat, eat 250-500 less than your given number.  *My caloric goal is to reach 1,700 - 1,900 on my rest days.

On the days I strength train, I also need to consume pre-workout and post-workout meals.  Typically I burn 250-400 calories (depending on the muscle group I train and if I incorporate HIIT).  Those calories should be split between the two meals.  For example, during my workout I will burn 400 calories so my pre-workout meal should be 200 calories and my post-workout meal should be 200 calories.  *My caloric goal is to reach 2,100 - 2,300 on my workout days.

Macros ratio:
 My goal is to hit 40% carbs, 40% proteins, and 20% fats.  Here is the breakdown of grams based on 1,700 calories consumed on a rest day:

Grams per day:
- 170g of carbs
- 170g of proteins
- 38g of fats
- 30g of sugars

Portion size per meal (6 meals per day):
- carbs: Meals 1-4 = 38 grams and Meal 5 = 18 grams
- proteins: Meals 1-6 = 28.33 grams
- fats: Meals 1, 2, 3, and 6 = 9.5 grams
- sugars: Meals 1-6 = no more than 5 grams at each meal






No comments:

Post a Comment